Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Didn't expect that to happen

It's funny the way things work in life...

A few days ago, I wrote a post on Ironpython on non-windows systems, which is here, where I was trying to understand the benefits of having Ironpython on non-windows systems compared to cPython which is common on most of these systems. I didn't think much of it at the time because it was early in the morning when I wrote it and I figured it wouldn't really go anywhere. Well, I came back a couple days later to actually find comments to that post. I didn't realize anyone read my shit. That was a big surprise to me. The first comment was from guy named Michael Foord (whose name sounded familiar when I first read it) saying:
Because IronPython and IronRuby both work fine on Mono and are just as useful in environments using Mono as they are in environments using .NET.
This statement does make sense to me. I never thought that Ironpython doesn't work on Mono. In fact, I was able to compile Ironpython on my mac using Monodevelop a couple weeks ago which was pretty cool. However, I'm still trying to understand what benefits Ironpython has over cPython in a non-Windows environment. I responded to his comment yesterday in my comments section but I don't think that was the best method. Oh well. Live and learn I guess.

Well, today while at work. I was looking for a book in my desk when I saw the Ironpython in Action book in my desk with the name Foord on the spine. It took me a few minutes to remember where I saw that name before. After it sunk in, I slapped myself in the forehead. And to top it off, when I when to his blog, I found that he put a blurb of what I wrote on his blog. See here... The last thing I expected when I wrote that post was to get a comment and a link from the author of IronPython in Action. How'd that happen?

Just to reiterate. I'm not against Ironpython. I use it at work and it's good at the tasks I throw at it. I'm just trying to understand what benefits it has on a system like Debian or Redhat.

No comments:

Post a Comment